Dr. Tom C. Nguyen is an internationally recognized minimally invasive and robotic heart surgeon with expertise in performing complex heart operations through the smallest possible incision. He has a particular interest in minimally invasive mitral, aortic, atrial septal defect (ASD) closures, septal myectomy for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and robotic heart surgery. He is also an expert in transcatheter procedures, including transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) and MitraClip, performing more than 2,400 implants. He serves as chief of cardiothoracic surgery at UCSF.
- Cardiovascular Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery
- Hospital Affiliations UCSF Medical Center
- Medical School Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, MD, 2002
- Residency Stanford University, General Surgery, 2010
- Fellowship Columbia University, Cardiothoracic Surgery, 2012 Emory University, Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement, 2013
- Leadership Roles Professor